Monday, September 23, 2013

Jeremiah 29:11-17

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”
Jeremiah 29:11-17
Jeremiah 29:11 is a very famous verse that most Christians would have know it by heart because... well, who doesnt want to claim such a promise from God? But when Nel read the following verses during worship 2 Saturdays back, it struck me that the next few verses are even more powerful.

The context is this: Israelites, as God's chosen people, broke their convenant through unrepented sins. This is not merely a few times or just simple sins. The longevity and immorality of it were so serious that God decided to mete out justice instead of showing mercy yet again. He abandoned them to their enemies. During this period of time, prophet Jeremiah prophesied that God will call His people back.

Even though Israelites failed God time and time again, God still loves them very much and truly wants them to come back. He can still find mercy in Him to forgive them. Sure, having a God's promise for a better future is great. But i think that having God's promise of an everlasting love - that no matter what you do, you're still loved by Him - is way better.

Come away with Me, come away with Me
It's never too late, it's not too late
It's not too late for you

Annnnnd, I'm officially twenty.

No comments :

Post a Comment