Monday, March 23, 2015

A tribute


The first message i read this morning was from a friend studying in Edinburgh. LKY has passed away, she said. The first thought that came to my mind was how LKY would not be able to celebrate SG50. My aunt and I mentioned this just yesterday. I continued my day as usual and by the time my morning lecture was over, news of his death flooded my FB and Instagram. And i think that was when it really hit me.

I am not usually a compassionate person. When i see news of natural disasters, of people being massacred, of virus outbreaks, I would probably feel shock, horrified, scared, unjust and even sad.

But not grief.

It seems silly, doesn't it? Feeling sorrow for someone whom you don't even know personally. I had only known LKY through textbooks and articles. And i am not someone who would concern herself over politics in Singapore - or anything that does not directly affects me, really. But this is a man truly worth honouring.

There are two things i admire about him. LKY was a great leader. I refuse to give him absolute credit because it would be wrong to say that he build Singapore alone. No. But he was a great leader. He envisioned a future for a country that most gave up on. He had the tenacity to lead people to push for what he was convicted of despite the circumstances. He was passionate for Singapore. He inspired people - and he still does even after his death.

LKY was also a great man. Amongst the many articles i have read about him since his death, one greatly touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes. It is not a recent article, neither was it written after his death. It did not talk about his achievements but rather, his relationship with his wife. It was written by his daughter. I am a firm believer that how a man treats his wife is the most telling sign of his character. And he had no less a love and respect for his wife than that for himself.

Yes, some of his campaigns were borderline offensive (Graduate Mother's Scheme, hello??) and he did bulldoze anything that stood against him and his elitist mentality (forced closure of NTU back in 1980?). But ultimately he stood by what he thought was right for the sake of Singapore and i am more than fortunate to be a citizen of this nation today. I am not saying that the ends can justify the means. But there is a difference between critique and criticising. Let's not criticise unless we are able to do what he has done and more. Instead, let's keep him in good remembrance now that the man has passed on.

I may not have known LKY personally and he was not subjected to torture or murder unlike the many unfortunate souls out there. But he did, in his words, gave up his life for Singapore and i am the direct beneficiary of this sacrifice. And for that, it is with a heavy heart that i say,

Thank you, Mr Lee Kuan Yew. May you rest in peace.

No comments :

Post a Comment