Monday, January 8, 2018

MEGACHURCHES


I recently wrote an article for Thir.st and while I didn't expect it to go viral, it certainly did.

It was only after reading the comments that I realised how serious and deep a debate the issue of megachurches and their extravagant is. I mean yeah, I know that the public has always been wary of how churches spend their funds, but I didn't really start the article with the intention to address the issue. It was more of a personal reflection than anything.

If you haven't read the article, or would like a refresher, click here.

Someone who disagreed with my view said she doesn't think "it’s enough to gain insights from a 1,000 words-ish article", which is very true! I had difficulties writing the piece because I felt there were so many different angles to approach the article.

That of course meant the argument isn't as wholistic as I would like it to be, and people on opposing camps would pick on the gaps. And so, I'm gonna present further supporting arguments here.

I'm not gonna publish this on Thir.st as I have no intentions of turning this matter into a debate; this is just for knowledge in case you meet people with same queries. So here goes.

Counter-argument #1: We don't need extravagance to glorify God. 

It's true. But everything we do has an impact on others – directly or indirectly.

In 1 Peter, Paul instructed Christians to live a holy life despite living in a pagan environment so that  through their actions, people may be intrigued and won over.

We are to watch our lives because people are watching ours. What we do or say helps others form a certain impression of us and our faith and that's why we should try our best to live and an exemplary life. This goes as well for the maintenance of the Church's image.

The other day, some of my friends were scrolling Churches' websites trying to find information about Christmas services. Some Churches' websites are so ill-maintained that it was hard to even find service details – I can't imagine how it would attract a pre-believer to attend Church.

Image maintenance is important. It is the first testimony that people receive which will determine if they would step into a Church. If spending a little more money to upkeep the website can attract people to Church, why not? We have to be excellent in all that we do because we serve an excellent God. Wouldn't you want to reflect that to everyone?


Counter-argument #2: Extravagance is a bad stewardship of resources.

Of course, excellence does not necessarily need to be extravagant. For megachurches, they are trying to appeal to the youth and hence they do what they do. For other Churches, if their area of focus is on elderly, I should hardly think spending money on the same things megachurches invest in is a wise decision. It really boils down to how effective will spending that sum in doing God's work. It really is a matter of stewardship, not the amount because as much as God allows extravagance, we cannot allow simply allow it to turn into a show. We need to uphold His values as well or we will end up fulfilling Amos 5:21-24.

“I can’t stand your religious meetings.
    I’m fed up with your conferences and conventions.
I want nothing to do with your religion projects,
    your pretentious slogans and goals.
I’m sick of your fund-raising schemes,
    your public relations and image making.
I’ve had all I can take of your noisy ego-music.
    When was the last time you sang to me?
Do you know what I want?
    I want justice—oceans of it.
I want fairness—rivers of it.
    That’s what I want. That’s all I want.

Which is why extravagance doesn't mean that megachurches are relinquished of their responsibility to minister to the poor. Social justice is an important aspect of the Christian life as well. The Bible exudes us to act justly and show mercy.

As I cited Hillsong as an example in my article, I shall also use them to demonstrate how they are giving back to the society.

Unbeknownst to many, Hillsong participates and supports many giving campaign. One includes a yearly ritual during Christmas where they pool money to bless orphanages and homeless people. They roll out and support many fund raising campaigns and I can tell that they take it seriously when they push for the campaigns not just once, but a few times during their conference where the last thing anyone wants to hear is a donation plea.

Recently, they've also visited an inmate in a prison because of a letter he wrote them, thanking them for their music which brought him to Christ.

So just because a church is extravagant doesn't necessarily mean they are blasphemous.

I know some people might still be uncomfortable with how the church spends the money. In that case, my advice is for the person to find another church where they invest the funds in a relatively agreeable manner.

As for me, while I come from a megachurch myself, I've seen the amount of effort they put into outreaching, and I believe that that is the core of their motivation. Hence, I trust my church exercised wisdom whenever we do something "extravagant".

At the end of the day, I'm not arguing that all Churches to be extravagant. In fact, I am thankful that not all Churches are megachurches, because they would cater to people who do not respond to such glitz and glam. Because the truth is people worship and experience God differently, and I'm glad that there are churches that meet the different area of needs!

I think this is the grandest display of the body of Christ. We all have different functions, but the same goal: glorifying God. I think it pleases God as long as we give our best with the right motivations.


Counter-argument #3: Extravagance attracts the wrong crowd.

Lastly, some people might argue that Churches being extravagant means they are attracting people who are only in for the thrills and fun aka the wrong crowd. I understand where they are coming from – they are cautious in making "false disciples" of Christ. But I think this is a matter of discipleship more than outreach.

When it comes to outreach, there is no "wrong crowd". Everyone deserves a chance to hear the gospel and Christians have the responsibility to bring it to them because otherwise they won't come!

This is why Jesus preached for us to go to their house, fellowship with them and meet their felt needs first because talking about salvation. We have got to make the Gospel accessible – even if it means doing it through a play, a dance or a song – so that they will at least open their hearts for the HS to touch them.

Paul says, "To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some."

Who knows, out of the 100 people who come for the wrong reasons, there may be one who's willing to seek God.

So yes, I hope that this extension of the article helps to clarify things a little more! May it also help us to be clear of what our stance is too, to the best of our conscience :)

1 comment :