Sunday, July 14, 2013

Book: The Prodigal God



Christianity is such a dangerous religion.

You're essentially believing a man's claim to be God. As CS Lewis puts it, it is almost equivalent to a lunatic saying that he is a poached egg. And the scariest thing is that billions of people believe it. If i stepped back as a Christian and think about it, i would either be a) amazed that people actually believe such claims or b) think to myself is the world crazy or what???

My mom always asked me how is it that there is such a "good deal"? That you dont have to pay for your sins as long as you believe in Jesus. Many religions have the "you pay for your own sins" system but I was reading The Prodigal God a few months ago and i came across this:
"Mercy and forgiveness must be free and unmerited to the wrongdoer. If the wrongdoer has to do something to merit it, then it isn't mercy, but forgiveness always comes at a cost to the one granting the forgiveness."
Forgiveness comes free and easy to us. But it does not mean there's no one else paying the price. If Jesus' claims were real - can you even imagine the impact? This is not a God who sits high above and looks upon suffering from afar. This is a God who came to earth as a human to be with us; to suffer as we did; to be rejected by His people. This is an almighty and all powerful God who laid down His life for His people. This is not a God who simply says I love you. This is a God who demonstrates His love. I have never came across a God like Him. I have never known of a God who abandons His status as God and runs towards His people (literally and figuratively). I am so so so loved and I am always rendered speechless when i think about how He loves us. And that is why He is worthy of all my admiration and worship - I serve a God who first served us. I love a God who first loved us.

1 John 4:10
This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

No comments :

Post a Comment