Monday, March 18, 2013

Book: Mere Christianity

I actually finished reading Mere Christianity a few months ago. It is actually a good read and its been a long time since i read something decent or meaningful :') CS Lewis is such a blunt writer that while reading the book, i literally laughed out loud. I dont know about you but most of the time when i read books, they are good enough to make me feel emotions but never enough for me to show it on my face. Do you get what i mean? And mind you, Mere Christianity is supposedly a serious book hahaha.

For example:
I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: "I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God." That is one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said that sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic - on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg - or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse.
There are more but this is the only one i remembered because it is SO straightforward! Don't you think its funny? I think its hilarious the way he writes it. Here are some of my favourite quotes.



Knowledge can last, principles can last, habits can last; but feelings come and go. And in fact, whatever people say, the state called 'being in love' usually does not last... But, of course, ceasing to be 'in love' need not mean ceasing to love. Love in this second sense - love as distinct from 'being in love' - is not merely a feeling... 'Being in love' first moved them to promise fidelity: this quieter love enables them to keep the promise. It is on this love that the engine of marriage is run: being in love was the explosion that started it.






No comments :

Post a Comment