Friday, September 13, 2019

WITH EVERY BREATH THAT I AM ABLE, I WILL SING OF THE GOODNESS OF GOD

Months ago, I was tasked to take on a story about the life of a funeral director. While planning for the story, I came across this saying: Most of us would daydream and plan for our wedding even if it never happens. But not many of us would plan for our funeral even though death is certain.

And death doesn't have a timing.

When I first heard the song Goodness of God, I was busy serving in church trying to capture the worship moments. But the song was so powerful that I looked it up as I was heading home. Reading the lyrics fully for the first time, I thought to myself if I had a funeral service, this would be what I want the band to be playing.


I love You, Lord
For Your mercy never failed me
All my days, I've been held in Your hands
From the moment that I wake up
Until I lay my head
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God
To me, this song is the declaration of God's goodness from the start to the end; from the first breath of life to life's last breath.  And I don't know about you, but there are certain songs that I'm exceptionally drawn to – songs that paints the ideal picture of my final scene of life.

Take 10,000 Reasons for example. The reason why that song means so much to me is purely because of verse 3. When the end draws near and my time has come, I want my final words to be filled with nothing but praises of God.
With my life laid down
I'm surrendered now
I give You everything
'Cause Your goodness is running after
It's running after me
But you know what I like most about Goodness of God? The bridge. If anything, I can't help to deny how God has pursued me over the years. Even when I turned away from the people He sent, even when I conspired to run away from the church, He never gave up on me.

And just like how He has chased me in this lifetime, I believe He will continue to chase me in the afterlife. And because I believe He will come and take me home, I am not scared to lay my life down. I am not afraid of death.


I love Before The Throne Of God Above too. It talks about the confidence that nothing – not even death – can separate us from God. And as I'm writing this during suicide prevention week, together with receiving news of yet another pastor committing suicide, this topic has been on my mind.

I've never been suicidal and I can't say I understand why suicidal is such a real and large issue in society, but reading accounts and testimonies of people who came out with their stories have helped me to comprehend their perspectives a little.

I can't seem find the article now, but in it the writer wrote about his personal experiences on battling with suicidal tendencies. One of the most impactful point I read: Unlike the usual narrative of "How could they choose to take the easy way out and leave their loved ones behind?", people who commit suicide weren't trying to be selfish. In their own way of thinking, they thought that they were being selfless because they truly felt that their loved ones would be better off without them.

Depression and suicide are huge and complex issues. I'm still struggling to understand who, why, what, how, but if anything, I feel as though this song was written as an anthem for anyone who have struggled with death thoughts and succumbed to them.

As long as we choose to call upon the name of Jesus, our names will be written on His hands; we will never truly die.

And I hope this is something people will take away from my funeral service.

No comments :

Post a Comment