Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Book: The Time Traveller's Wife

I've just finished reading The Time Traveller's Wife and it is such a good book. I cant remember when was the last time i read an entirely romantic book because i dont really like the romance genre (and maybe also due to the fact that i hardly had any time left to read boohoo).

I was especially heartbroken at the very last part where Clare waited and waited for so long just to have another glimpse of Henry. I think the author explored the theme of a longing love very well. It does not need to be about time travelling. It can also manifest in an abusive relationship/a broken relationship where one party keeps on waiting for their partner to come back to them. What is it about love that makes people want to have it despite knowing that it might hurt them? Strange, isnt it?

The book is really long because it takes time to touch on the emotions of Henry and Clare and it thoroughly covers the life process of them both. Also, the time travelling thing sometimes befuddles my brain. I feel that the book is a little draggy for me because i am an action person. I need to have the plot moving at every second. Details are secondary to me. Nevertheless, this is a great and heart wrenching book (especially if you read it in one sitting).

“Long ago, men went to sea, and women waited for them, standing on the edge of the water, scanning the horizon for the tiny ship. Now I wait for Henry. He vanishes unwillingly, without warning. I wait for him. Each moment that I wait feels like a year, an eternity. Each moment is as slow and transparent as glass. Through each moment I can see infinite moments lined up, waiting. Why has he gone where I cannot follow?”

"I never understood why Clark Kent was so hell bent on keeping Lois Lane in the dark.”

“It’s hard being left behind. I wait for Henry, not knowing where he is, wondering if he’s okay. It’s hard to be the one who stays."

"Sometimes I'm happy when he's gone, but I'm always happy when he returns."

“I hate to be where she is not, when she is not. And yet, I am always going. ”

“He is coming, and I am here.”

“Why is love intensified by absence?”

“Do you ever miss him? Every day. Every minute. Every minute, she says. Yes, it’s that way, isn’t it?”

No comments :

Post a Comment