Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Book: Warm Bodies (and other TV stuff)


I actually felt that the movie is nicer than the book itself. The humour is really well played throughout the film, the acting is great, the OST is awesome and it is visually appetising. The book, though it provides more details, is drier. And i preferred the movie version of Julie. I guess the actors really bring life to the characters. The only plus point about the book that triumphs over the movie is the theme. The idea of hope, change, meaning of life, love etc. Nevertheless, it was a good read.

I have been watching many shows the past few months. Despite assignments and homework, i firmly believe in the importance of relaxation time. Past experiences have proven that if i do not have enough time for play, i would either 1) feel like killing the entire world or 2) bottle up and explode into a puddle of tears eventually or a combination of both.

I watch and dabble with various genres of shows. Usually i will stick to a certain "country's" shows for a period of time. Previously, it was korean shows or variety shows and then i moved on to american tv shows and currently i have finished a Japanese drama. I like American shows because they have SUCH interesting concepts but heck, they have way too many seasons! For a muddlehead like me, i would have forgot what happened in season 1/2/3/4/5/6/2349873690834958. I like Japanese shows because most of them are only 1 season AND THEY ONLY HAVE 10-13 EPISODES EACH! I feel a huge (false) sense of accomplishment everytime i finish a J-drama. Japanese are the best in mysteries/problem solving cases! Detective Conan, Liar Game, Battle Royale, Death Note, Kaiji etc.

Actually, i started and completed Cruel City even before i entered Uni. I initially watched it because i like Nam Gyu Ri. I realised she didnt have much screen time anyway halfway through the show hahaha. Honestly, the first few episodes were not promising AT ALL. It was only the cliffhangers at the end of the episodes that really get me going on but half of the time i had no idea what the show was talking about. But slowly, it got extremely interesting. LIKE OMGOMGOMG I CANT DO THIS ANYMORE - kind of feeling. It really showed the other side of drug dealers and etc omg, i have no idea what to say about this show except its extremely awesome and sadly, extremely underrated as well. I think its because its not marketed as a romance show so it didnt appeal to many people ): Top few favourite shows of all time though it hardly had any romantic element in it.

I first found out about Revenge on Youtube and I started to watch it about a month ago. The first 10 episodes are not addictive but subsequently, especially near the end, the plot twists and thickens and things start to get very interesting. The last episode, omg, revealed a whole new entire truth and so now im on season 2. Honestly, the characters are not very attractive. Not physically, because they are, but in the way they were written. Daniel is just really dumb and easily manipulated, Emily seems indecisive, Jack is just clueless throughout the entire show etc. The only characters i really love are Victoria Grayson and Nolan Ross. Victoria really is a very complex character which felt real. I enjoyed Nolan's loyalty and sarcasm. I was so afraid he'd die in the last episode and i wont get to see him in season 2. But he didnt haha.

Many years ago, when i was overseas, i saw the trailer on TV. And i finally downloaded it to watch. AMAZING film. It is about the entire world slowly losing their vision for some reason and it explores how people react in dire situations. It does not explain how this disease comes to be or how it can be cured but the focus of the movie is on human nature. I like shows that reveal true human nature - that we can be extremely sinister or discover the good inside of us we never knew we had.

I started watching Good Doctor because of Joo Won. His acting never fails to impress me. A rich ass bastard son, a scum-turned-vigilante, and now an autistic doctor. Good Doctor is not a romantic show so there isnt many lovey dovey scenes but it encompasses many moral lessons. Not one of my favourite shows, but definitely watchable.

Based on Jeremy Lin's drawings. My mom is a fan of his. When we were in HK few years back, there was an exhibition of his works and it was beautiful. The film is really good. I like the themes and the portrayal of the story. Honestly, i do not like Taiwanese shows because they are so draggy. But they always make the best coming of age movies such as Secret, You're The Apple Of My Eye etc.

Nazotoki Wa Dinner No Ato De is the latest show i've finished. In fact, i only completed the last episode today. I saw one episode on Channel U last Sunday and the pacing and editing of the show is impeccable. I really love the way it was filmed and edited! Can i just add that Japanese shows always have the best OST?!?! I am going on to watch the movie, which apparently was released in theatres few months back.

I will probably continue with my Japanese dramas craze, heh. Its been some time since i watch a Japanese show. And i miss my manga/anime too ):

No comments :

Post a Comment